Considering Dentures: What are the first steps?
Posted on: Sunday, January 8th, 2017
If you are considering dentures, the very first step is to schedule a consultation with your dentist. This discussion should cover everything from gum health, to finances and what to expect during the process. People often enter this process unprepared or underinformed which is only a set up for disappointment. Tooth replacement is a big decision and shouldn’t be taken lightly.
First Step in the Process
The first step in this process is determining how many teeth must be replaced and whether a partial or full set of dentures is needed. Additionally, you must also consider whether all necessary teeth have already been removed. If additional tooth removal is necessary, then there will be a healing period involved but sometimes a temporary appliance can be put in place.
The permanent denture will be fabricated at a dental laboratory. The denture will be carefully engineered to fit well, look natural and function properly. The replacement teeth will be crafted from molds taken at your dental provider’s office during a previous visit.
Questions for Your Dental Provider
The above is a very brief synopsis of what to expect in the beginning of the process. Please remember that each individual case is different and will vary depending on age, health and type of denture being placed. What follows is a list of questions worth asking your dentist before beginning the process.
- What type of dentures are best for me?
- How can I best prepare for receiving my dentures?
- Is follow up care necessary after denture placement?
- How do I care for my mouth after dentures?
- How long should I wear my dentures daily and should I take them out to sleep?
- Should I use denture creams or adhesives?
- How do I clean and care for my dentures?
- Will I be able to eat the same diet and are there foods I should avoid with my dentures?
You may have additional questions other than these as you begin the process, but this list will get you off to a good start. If you are considering dentures, make an appointment with our team at Beautiful Dentistry and let us help you explore your best tooth replacement options.